Saturday, September 15, 2007

First day of Blog

First day on my blog. Tiffany has challenged me to start a blog. Here goes. I am in Quito, Ecuador at the House of Good for Charity Anywhere Foundation. I had a big travel day yesterday. I started at the Salt Lake Airport at 5 am. I was in the security check line for 30 minutes. That was the longest line I have ever been in. They took my big tube of toothpaste. It was half used and they still took it. I had 3 checkon luggages and they charged me $125 for the third piece. It would have been just $100 but I was 15 pounds over weight. You are allowed 50 pounds with no extra charge. They all were full of medicine, medical supplies and dental equipment. When I opened the suitcases this morning, Washington told me that the sutres I brought were $18 each here. I brought him over 100 . I guess it was worth the $125 to buy the extra suitcase.I also tried some thing new. We had a doctor from Quito buy a laptop computer in Salt Lake but was unable to take it with them. They gave it to me in a backpack to take to Quito. I also had my satchal and suitcase. So I had 3 carryons. Guess what, I was not challenged once on the three flights I was on. It was a little challenging to get the 3 pieces placed in the luggage racks but it worked.The Chicago to Miami flight was a little late and I had a 15 minute connection time. I was in concourse c and had to get to concourse a. I made it with 5 minutes to go. When I arrived in Quito , Washington was there to meet me. I had 3 huge suitcases, and 3 carryons. He marched me right through customs with out a problem. I probably had over $5ooo worth of stuff. Since we are an NGO now we are able to walk through Customs. I slept in Washingtons house again and used Clints bed that he slept in when we were here in August. Clint, the bed is still bad. I have changed a mattress on the other bed and hope to sleep better tonight. We have sorted through the suitcases I brought and I was surprised at all I could bring. I went to Thursdays and bought all of their vitamins. I probably brought over 100 bottles of vitamins for $35 at Thursdays. Washington was totally thrilled with the vitamins. They are always running out when we are in the back country doing medical work. Could you all see if you can find us the cheap vitamins. I got over 50 childrens chewable vitamins. I always get excited when I know we can help the children. Tonight we pick up a couple from SEattle that are with the Wings World Foundation. They are coming to see how they can help us in Otavalo and on the Galapagos island. We have committed to help them develop a medical clinic in both places. Last week I shipped a container full of medical and dental equipment for Otavalo. I will ship another container to Galapagos next month. Washington just told me that since we are now an NGO we can have special privileges here. We can arrange very cheap housing for any of the family. I know Melinda is talking about coming down next summer and spend a month in Otavalo. Washington said she should plan on one week on Galapagos. We have very cheap housing in both places. Both places love Charity Anywhere foundation. Well, I have blogged long enough. Some one write and let me know they have read all this stuff. I do thing it will end up in the big black hole of the internet.
Love all.
Be good and do good.
Gordon CARTER

7:51:00 AM

6 comments:

Melinda said...

Hey dad.

YOU DID IT!!!! So fun to read what you are doing. Keep it up.

Glad you got all your containers filled and off. Heard that was hard work.

Be safe.

Tiffany Gremmert said...

It worked dad. Was this your second try? I am so proud of you for figuring it out in a foreign country no less.

Sorry about your 3 carry on ordeal but sounds like it was worth getting them there. You do such good things dad!

Susan said...

I am so proud of you and all you have accomplished this last month. I know you have worked your heart out to get the containers ready to ship. I am praying for them everyday. I know when they open those up it will be such a grand occation because of all the valuable equipment that you have gathered. Our Home Teacher said he is trying to get a piece of equipment donated from his store and our doctor said he would donate a piece of his old equipment. You are an AMAZING Person. Love you TONS Susan

Rachael said...

Dad, this is awesome. I love to hear exactly what you are doing. I love it. Bummer about the extra $150, but you are right totally worth it. You even have pictures on a slide show. I haven't even figured that out. This really is a great way to connect with you and all the great work you do, AND journal at the same time. Keep it up!!!! Love you tons dad!

analee hirschi said...

I love your stories and you can keep us up to date on everything. Great job on the blog.. keep us informed on the second container.
be safe!!!

Blake said...

Hey Dad,
There has got to be a way for the airlines to overlook the extra bag if it is in the name of charity. Let me know what airline you fly on next and I will check with them.
Don't forget to keep an eye open for a small project for me in the Galapagos. I would love to get down there sometime this year.
Love ya Dad. Keep up the great work. We are praying for you.
Blake