Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Still on Galapagos

I will give a report from Sunday to Tuesday, today.

We went to Washingtons new ward. It is very near the House of Good and the US Embassy. Washington is moving in October. This ward is very high class. It will be good for the Zambranos.

We then picked up Bob and Dee Wake and drove to Otavalo in the CAF van. As soon as we arrived we drove to the new building. The Wakes were very surprised at how nice it was. The mayor and his group treated us to lunch and then we got down to business. We told them what we were shipping on the container. They were very excited. I had also prepared the sale of a power vac sewer truck and a bobcat. I had found these items used in SLC and Idaho Falls. They were totally excited about the price. I think they will get with me before I leave to book these to items to ship to them.

We toured Otavalo and then headed home.

We got up early Monday and flew to Santa Cruz Galapagos island. We met with the mayor and told them what we were shipping them. We visited there hospital and it is nice and new but the medical equipment is old. They were excited to hear about our equipment that is coming. I am shipping 24 hospital beds to them. They took us to dinner last night.

Funny experience. We took the Wakes to the Darwin museum with the turttles and iguanas. On the way out of the museum, Washington wanted some sushi at a restaurant nearby. He loves sushi. I gave in and we had Sushi. Dee loves Sushi.

We were out at 7 pm and the mayor wanted us to go to dinner. We rendezvoused with him and headed for the restaurant. We were on the same road as the sushi restaurant and we thought for sure we were going there. We were cooking up stories on how we knew the waiter and cook, etc at the sushi restaurant. Well, we were just one block away and we went to another restaurant. We had a good laugh.

We got up this morning and went to the volcanoes and lava caves. We meet with the mayor at 2 pm. He has some other projects he wants us to look at. This morning we went to the Red Cross and they are duplicating the work of the city hospital. We find out that the two political parties are at each other on what medically is going on. The Red Cross is much better than the city hospital but its political party has lost power. They need equipment. We wonder how it will work if we help both the city hospital and the Red Cross. Politics is getting in the way.

This afternoon they are taking us on a boat tour. Haven´t done that here. The Wakes are planning on bringing a group here in JUne. They are very excited about helping.

Washington told me about a conversation he had with a dentist, Jeff Hill, in SLC. Jeff is doing dental implants and he invited Washington to come and learn how to do a new implant system. The system costs $12000. Washington wants to do it because he can do implants on Saturday and make big dollars doing it. WE mentioned it to the Wakes and they offered last night over sushi to loan him the money and he would pay it back in one year, interest free. Not a bad deal for a plate of Sushi. I was tickled to hear them offer.

I am well and must go to lunch now. Be good and do good. Gordon Carter

2 comments:

Melinda said...

So glad to hear all the fun you are having. Sounds more like a FUN trip than a pure service trip. Try to enjoy yourself.

Can't believe you tried sushi.

Gordon said...

I am in Paraguay. Yup, quite a trip. We spent all day thursday getting boxes ready, delivering boxes to the airport, gettting them through customs, etc. We were also working on getting containers going. We have to have 2 government agencies approval to bring these containers in without a customs problem. It appears that when they unload the containers in Mexico to ship onto Ecuador that we will have to hold them there until the 2 agencies have approved the shipment.

I helped Washington get all the luggage moved and sent through customs and then we are headed to the airport and he asks if I have my yellow fever vaccination shot card. Of course I didn't. He then sends me to a nurse who gives me the shot, $35, and she back dates it to Sept. 5. We get to the airport on time and Anitas boyfriend forgot his vaccination card. So he and Anita get a cab and run and get it. They made it back just in time. Brazil requires the yellow fever shot and it has to be atleast 10 days before entering the country. It cost $40.80 to exit Ecuador. I am not going into the Brazil, only the airport. Yup, I go to Sao Paolo and they ask for the shot card. I gave it to them and they didn't even look at the date. I made it. Well , not quite yet. It is 4 am in the morning. They make me go to the gate of departure because I do not have a visa. The Ecuadorians go on through immigration to get the luggage transferred to TAM for the flight to Asunscion. The Ecuadorians do not need a visa but Americans do. Yup, I am there all alone for 5 hours. I did find a bench that I could sleep on.

Well, the rest of the group finally arrive after each pays a $35 exit tax and they all have boarding passes except me. I did not have to pay the exit tax. Washington has an E ticket receipt for my boarding pass but they cannot find my info. The plane is loading, the Ecuadorians are on the plane. Washington is with me but is afraid that they will lock him out of the plane also. The air clerk is talking like I will have to stay in the airport until the night flight, 12 hours in the airport for me. I tell Washington to get on the plane. He leaves. They process some standbys and I am beginning to get a little steamed. All of a sudden Washington comes running off the plane with my boarding pass. He had it all along with my Taca tickets from Quito. What a relief. Our group gave me a big cheer as I walked on the plane. I am so glad to be in Paraguay.

We are staying in a pretty nice hotel. They have a real complex here at the school and hotel. It reminds me of the Polynesian center. Self sustaining and employs many. Melinda, you could bring the whole family here and stay for $15 per day and that includes meals.

I just went with a Catholic priest to visit the local natives. They are very poor. I haven't seen places quite as bad. I saw a boy about Andys age with fungus on his toe nails. He walks on his heals. Without help, he will soon loose his toes. Where is Dr. Sant when we need him?

This complex is very complete. They have cows, chickens, pigs, rabbits, etc. If a family did come for a month they could help with the chores. Also, with the poor neighbors, there is a lot of good things for a family to do. I will tell you more about it later.

Tomorrow we start the med dent work. They have us setup in a church on the complex. We hope to serve 2000. I will keep you blogged.

Love all. Be good and do good. Gordon